Information for Media
We're here to help all media get the information they need to produce timely, relevant and compelling news stories that respect the people and community we serve. If you would like to set up an interview, or visit one of our locations in the National Capital Region, we ask that you first reach out to the Y's Marketing and Communications team.
We look forward to working with our media partners and will help ensure you have everything you require to file your story on time.
- September 15, 2023 - The YMCA of the National Capital Region Awarded a $195,000 Community Building Fund Grant from Ottawa Trillium
- August 28, 2023 - The YMCA and Walk off the Earth Reimagine the Y.M.C.A. Anthem, Focusing on Youth Mental Health (PDF)
- March 7, 2023 - The YMCA Provides Safe Accommodation for Women in New Housing Program (PDF)
- January 27, 2023 - The YMCA of the National Capital Region Awarded a $122,600 Resilient Communities Fund Grant from Ottawa Trillium Foundation (PDF)
- October 27, 2022 - Building a Brighter Future for the National Capital Region Community: An Update on the Y facility on Argyle Avenue (PDF)
- September 7, 2022 - The YMCA Expands Trades Program For Newcomers Across Ontario
- February 23, 2022 - The Y Receives National Recognition For Focusing on Staff Appreciation and Engagement During COVID-19 (PDF)
- October 15, 2021 - Ontario Connecting Newcomers With Opportunities in the Skilled Trades (PDF)
- September 1, 2021 - The Y and the Canada Green Building Council Launch the Green Building Training Program (PDF)
- February 9, 2021 - The Y is recognized as one of Canada's best employers for recent grads (PDF)
- May 11, 2021- Community support helps make COVID-Cancelled tournament a success (PDF)
Director, Marketing and Communications
Phone: 613-237-1320 Ext. 5167
We are now the YMCA of the National Capital Region!
Over the past number of years, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region’s Board of Directors have been evaluating our affiliation with YWCA Canada. After a thorough review, the Board recently recommended that our organization voluntary withdraw and resign our membership in YWCA Canada, and officially change our name to reflect being a YMCA.
In May of 2022, our Y and YWCA Canada completed a Settlement Agreement and YWCA Canada amicably confirmed that it had no objection to our resignation as a member of YWCA Canada. We have followed YWCA’s bylaws and completed two meetings where Governing Members voted on the proposed withdrawal. The vote was 100% in favour. At the same time, a motion was passed to re-name our organization to be known as the YMCA of the National Capital Region (Y NCR).
As of December 15, 2022 we will officially be known as the YMCA of the National Capital Region.
While we recognize the important work of YWCA Canada in advocating for women’s and girl’s equality, supporting women in crisis and promoting women and girls in leadership, we believe that there is a clear difference between YWCA Canada’s mandate and focus on advocacy and programs for women exclusively and our own local mission, strategic plan and focus on building a healthy community for all ages, genders, beliefs and circumstances.
This change will not alter the Y NCR’s commitment to offer programs and services for women, men, children and families. Our growing investment in programs to help both girls and boys build strong values and character, and ultimately become strong contributors to a healthy community, is a solid component of our mission and strategic plan. Our Y’s mission, vision and values will also remain unaltered.
Our programs and services will remain the same in all areas of our organization – from Health and Fitness, to Employment, Housing, Child Care, Camp and Newcomer services.
Being an inclusive organization that helps and inspires people of all backgrounds is central to our mission – including women and girls. For example, our Outdoor Girls camp program at Camp Otonabee, and our TRY women’s housing program will continue as always.
Over the coming 12 months, we will be updating all branded signage, URLs, emails, marketing collateral, etc, to reflect our new name.