Transitional Family Housing
A caring community and a chance to rebuild.
The Y Transitional Family Housing Program provides a safe, temporary home to homeless families looking for a place to thrive. The family shelter is centrally located in downtown Ottawa, along major bus routes and a walking distance from a grocery store, food bank, and a community health centre.
What is provided
- A private, secure room furnished with beds, a television and a fridge.
- A telephone line with voicemail and free WiFi.
- Shared full kitchen with space for family meals.
- 24 hour/7 days a week support.
On-site services provided at no cost
- Health and fitness facilities and programs.
- Indoor swimming pool and sauna.
- Indoor play structure for all ages.
- Summer and March Break camps (based on availability).
Job and language support
- Job search assistance and access to computers.
- Provide access to information and services for immigrants.
- Support in many languages through staff and cultural interpreters.
Child and family health resources
- On site visits from a Registered Nurse, Early Years Nurse, and Family Outreach Worker.
- Referrals to community resources.
- Access to 24 hour/7 days a week crisis counselling.
Families requiring emergency housing must first be assessed by the City of Ottawa to determine eligibility and authorize placement at the Y.
For eligibility and placement please contact a City of Ottawa crisis worker at 613-560-6000 during office hours or call 3-1-1 after hours or on weekends.
Shenkman Residence at the Taggart Family Y
180 Argyle Avenue, Main Floor