Women’s Transitional Housing Program
Providing a caring community and a safe space for homeless women.
The Y Women’s Transitional Housing Program provides temporary accommodation to homeless women looking for a safe place to call home. Centrally located in downtown Ottawa, we are accessible via major bus routes and a walking distance from a grocery store, food bank, and a community health centre.
Accommodations provided include
- A private, secure room furnished with a bed, closet, television, and a small fridge.
- A telephone line with voicemail and free Wi-Fi.
- Shared kitchen coin laundry, and bathroom facilities.
On-site services provided at no cost
- Access to Y health and fitness programs and services including:
- Group fitness classes, weights, and cardio equipment.
- Indoor swimming pool and sauna.
- Assistance connecting to appropriate community resources.
Language, employment, and immigrant supports available at no cost
- Job search assistance and access to computers at the Y’s Employment Centres.
- Access to information and services for immigrants at the Y’s Newcomer Information Centre.
- Support in many languages through staff and cultural interpreters.
Health Resources available
- On site visits from a Registered Nurse.
- Access to on-site case management support.
- 24 hour / 7 days a week crisis counselling and assistance.
Those requiring emergency housing must first be assessed by the City of Ottawa to determine eligibility and to authorize placement at the Y.
For eligibility and placement please contact a City of Ottawa crisis worker at 613-560-6000 during office hours or call 3-1-1 after hours or on weekends.
Y Housing Services
Shenkman Residence at the Taggart Family Y
180 Argyle Avenue, Main Floor