Aquafit Instructor (Taggart Y and Clarence Rockland Y) - PT Permanent
Location: 180 Argyle Ave. and/or 1525 Du Parc Ave.
Type: Part-time, preferred start date as soon as possible
Preferred start date: Monday, Mar 20, 2023
Closing date: Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023
The YMCA is a charity that has been helping Canadians improve their lives since the first Y opened in 1851. Y programs are offered at more than 1,700 locations across Canada and help more than 2.25 million people annually become healthier in spirit, mind, and body. The YMCA of the National Capital Region proudly serves people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities, and works to address critical social needs in our community. We are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential.
This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps)
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
What do you offer?
The Aquafit Instructor is responsible for the direct delivery of group fitness classes regularly while maximizing the participation and involvement of YMCA members and participants.
The Aquafit Instructor presents a professional appearance and attitude at all times and ensures excellent customer service is provided to members and participants by proactively addressing concerns or issues and escalating them to the Coordinator of Fitness, Wellness, and Recreation as necessary.
This position ensures that health and safety regulations and YMCA policies and procedures are upheld.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a personal commitment to and understanding of the Y’s mission, vision, and values.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Providing a supportive, welcoming environment for all ensuring excellent quality programs and services are delivered to all program members and potential program members
- Demonstrating YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility
- Acting as a team member, possessing excellent judgment, flexibility, decisiveness, and energy
- Actively interacting and building relationships with program members to help ensure member experiences are enhanced, members are successful and retained
- Promoting and encouraging all members to participate to their fullest potential
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Fluent in English, oral and written essential
- French Language an asset
Experience, Abilities & Skills
- Commitment to Y values – caring, respect, responsibility, honesty
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification
- Maintains a recognized Instructor certification (CALA, YMCA Aqua Fit Instructor)
- 1-2 years of previous experience as an instructor
- Knowledge of CLASS or another database/client management system is an asset
- Knowledge and frequent use of the MS Office suite of products are required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to motivate and build rapport with diverse clients
- Excellent Customer Service Skills particularly as it relates to members' experience
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- A Police Record check, not more than 6 months old is required. Police Records checks are reviewed on an individual basis and the offense(s) - if any - is considered in the decision-making process in relation to the requirement of working with children, therefore not eliminating all candidates with a record from being offered a position.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons and submit the certificate of completion.
- Commitment to Y Vision and Values – Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes, and values of the YMCA.
- Leadership – Motivates and inspires others to take action and achieve desired outcomes.
- Quality Focus – Ensures that success criteria for self are set, reviewed, and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery.
- Results Oriented – The ability to manage and lead to achieve and exceed identified goals.
- Service Orientation – Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance every person’s YMCA experience.
- Teamwork – The ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
YMCA of the National Capital Region is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, the YMCA will endeavor to provide accommodation to people with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please email email@example.com upon scheduling your interview.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA of the National Capital Region. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in joining the YMCA of the National Capital Region. We appreciate all applications. Due to the volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those selected for further consideration in the hiring process.
The YMCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.