Camp Maintenance and Cleaning Staff, Camping and Outdoor Education (Camp Otonabee)
Location: 1620 Sixth Line Rd RR #1, Dunrobin, ON K0A 1T0
Type: Casual, part-time contract, hourly rate of $15.81.
Preferred start date: Monday, May 01, 2023
Closing date: Friday, Jun 23, 2023
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
What you offer?
The Camp Student Maintenance and Cleaning staff position must ensure a clean and safe camp environment that maintains Y standards and meets Y expectations at all times.
This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- The tasks of this position are typically routine, and involve ensuring that consistency of predetermined operational guidelines are adhered to
- Operation of the heating and cooling system, including monitoring of gauges and control systems, troubleshooting, minor repairs and preventative maintenance of equipment
- Advise management of area in need of long term and or immediate attention
- Provide hands on services in the area of cleaning
- Ensure prescribed cleaning procedures and sequences
- Ensure that proper cleaning products and tools are used according to directions
- General repairs to walls including patching, sanding & painting
- Change lights, locks & ballasts and clean lenses, as needed
- General cleaning duties in front and back of house areas.
- Facility grounds maintenance including lawn cutting, snow removal, etc.
- Conduct preventative maintenance tasks on facility equipment outlined by the Facility Coordinator
- Basic plumbing repairs including unplugging sinks & toilets
- Basic electrical repairs including repairs to receptacles, light switches and ballasts
- Operates hand tools such as saws, drills, etc.
- Follows safe work practices and wears appropriate personal protective equipment (fall assist would be an asset)
- Completes work orders as assigned
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Fluent in English, oral and written
- Bilingualism an asset
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and follow cleaning and safety standards to complete assigned duties to the quality level established
- WHMIS certified (or willing to attain)
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR-C certifications
- Knowledge of basic facility maintenance functions such as painting, plumbing, electrical and general repairs is considered an asset
- Experience in landscaping duties, including lawn care, wood chipping, and raking is considered as asset
- Experience dealing with cliental in a positive and professional manner
- Ability to provide flexibility in scheduling based on the camp’s needs
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Superior problem solving and creative skills
- This position has a strong client focus and service orientation
- Create a strong presence and provide a welcoming environment
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- INTEGRITY: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
- CONCERN FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Marisa Yeomans. Please send applications to Acting Program Supervisor, Marisa Yeomans (email@example.com)
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.