Cleaners, Facilities (Taggart Y)
Location: 180 Argyle Ave, Ottawa, ON
Type: Part-time and casual positions available, preferred start date as soon as possible
Preferred start date: Monday, Jun 19, 2023
Closing date: Friday, Jun 30, 2023
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free YMCA gym membership;
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps);
- Access to our YMCA Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) including free, immediate, confidential assistance and counselling for you and your family members for mental and physical health, and financial advice, among other 12 suites of services;
- Health and Dental Insurance;
- Long-term Disability and Life Insurance;
- Access to our Canadian YMCA Retirement Fund pension plan;
- Up to 25 vacation days per year including two float days, and one birthday vacation;
- Maternity leave benefits for up to 18 months.
*Some benefits may vary based on employment terms
What do you offer?
The Family Y Taggart Cleaner position must ensure a clean and safe YMCA environment that maintains Y standards and meets member expectations at all times.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a personal commitment to and understanding of the Y’s mission, vision, and values.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Create a strong presence and provide a welcoming environment
- Be a contributing team member and share in the overall responsibilities of the day-to-day operations
- Provide hands-on services in the area of cleaning
- Ensure prescribed cleaning procedures and sequences are followed
- Ensure that proper cleaning products and tools are used according to directions
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At the YMCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Ability to work in English and some French would be an asset
- One-year cleaning experience, (fitness facility would be an asset)
- Knowledge of cleaning products, materials, equipment, and techniques.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Create a strong presence and provide a welcoming environment
- Must be able to lift items weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons and submit the certificate of completion.
- Commitment to Y Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, values, and strategic outcomes of the YMCA.
- Concern for Health & Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others on risk and harm reduction.
- Quality Focus: Ensures that success criteria for self are set, reviewed and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery.
- Teamwork: The ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
YMCA of the National Capital Region is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, the YMCA will endeavor to provide accommodation to people with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please email email@example.com upon scheduling your interview.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Roman Zeyfman. Please send applications to the Facilities Manager, Roman Zeyfman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thank you for your interest in joining the YMCA of the National Capital Region. We appreciate all applications. Due to the volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those selected for further consideration in the hiring process.
The YMCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.