Group Fitness Instructors, Health, Fitness and Aquatics (HFA) For Clarence-Rockland and Taggart Location
Location: 180 Argyle Avenue, Ottawa, ON and/or 1525 Du Parc Ave Suite 1, Rockland, ON
Type: Part-time, preferred start date as soon as possible and position will remain posted until filled
Preferred start date: Monday, Mar 20, 2023
Closing date: Sunday, Dec 31, 2023
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps)
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
What do you offer?
The Group Fitness Instructor is responsible for delivering specialty fitness instruction as a group exercise instructor. The Group Fitness Instructor is responsible for the direct delivery of group fitness classes on a regular basis while maximizing the participation and involvement of YMCA-YWCA members and participants.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a personal commitment to and understanding of the Y’s mission, vision, and values.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- The Group Fitness Instructor is tasked with sharing knowledge and instruction in a way that motivates others
- Must continuously work to expand their knowledge and expertise in the ever-evolving health and fitness industry. Whether it is by networking with other industry professionals, gaining new qualifications, attending workshops and fitness events, or reading the latest fitness, physiology, and nutrition research, the Group Fitness Instructor must make an effort to keep up with industry trends in a highly competitive market
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Fluent in English, oral and written essential
- French language an asset
Experience, Abilities & Skills
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification
- Maintains a recognized Group Exercise Instructor certification, for example, YMCA Can Fit Pro, OFC certifications
- 1-2 years of previous experience as a Group Fitness instructor
- Ability to lead a variety of class styles and assets (ie. cardio, strength, stretch, step, yoga, cycle, etc.)
- Knowledge of database/client management systems is an asset
- Knowledge and frequent use of MS Office suite of products are required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to motivate and build rapport with diverse clients
- Excellent Customer Service Skills particularly as it relates to members' experience
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- As a condition of employment, in accordance with the COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy for Staff and Volunteers, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- Commitment to Vision and Values – Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, and values of the National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA.
- Leadership – Motivates and inspires others to take action and achieve desired outcomes.
- Service Orientation – Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance every person’s Y
- Teamwork – The ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
- Quality Focus – Ensures that success criteria for self and programs are set, reviewed, and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Marina Matoussova. Please send applications to Program Director, Recreation, Marina Matoussova (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.