HFA Coordinator (Health, Fitness and Aquatics), Taggart Y
Location: 180 Argyle Ave
Type: Full-time, preferred start date June 26th, 2023
Preferred start date: Monday, Jun 26, 2023
Closing date: Friday, Jun 02, 2023
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free YMCA gym membership;
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps);
- Access to our YMCA Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) including free, immediate, confidential assistance and counselling for you and your family members for mental and physical health, and financial advice, among other 12 suites of services;
- Health and Dental Insurance;
- Long-term Disability and Life Insurance;
- Access to our Canadian YMCA Retirement Fund pension plan;
- Up to 25 vacation days per year including two float days, and one birthday vacation;
- Maternity leave benefits for up to 18 months.
*Some benefits may vary based on employment terms
What do you offer?
Reporting to the General Manager/Assistant Manager, the Health, Fitness and Aquatics (HFA) Coordinator, plans, organizes, leads, and controls various operations of Health Fitness and Aquatics. This position is responsible for overseeing a team including Membership Sales and Service Associates (MSS), Aquatics staff, Fitness Instructors, and CYF staff, and also supports and coaches our volunteers, and co-op students. The HFA Coordinator supports and facilitates HFA staff in providing excellent customer service and ensures staff has current, accurate, and relevant information to relay to members. The HFA Coordinator oversees all aspects of daily operations, including membership account creation, maintenance, modification, renewal, and cancelation, as well as cash handling, payment tracking, collection, and financial reporting. This position facilitates training new staff on YMCA’s policies and regulations regarding client memberships and programming. The HFA Coordinator is tasked with ensuring a high standard of professionalism and customer service as well as community engagement as it relates to member experiences within the HFA facilities. This position monitors and drives membership participation rates, and responds to client feedback and complaints. The HFA Coordinator ensures the smooth operations of the HFA department with a focus on excellence in customer service and adherence to the Mission, Vision, and Values of the YMCA of the NCR.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Overseeing a team of Membership Sales and Service Associates, Aquatics staff, Fitness Instructors, and CYF staff.
- Coaching and supporting volunteers and co-op students.
- Supporting and facilitating HFA staff in providing excellent customer service and ensuring staff has current, accurate, and relevant information to relay to members.
- Overseeing all aspects of daily operations, including membership account creation, maintenance, modification, renewal and cancelation.
- Overseeing cash handling, payment tracking, collecting, and financial reporting.
- Training new staff on YMCA’s policies and regulations regarding client memberships and programming.
- Monitoring and driving membership participation rates.
- Responding to client feedback and complaints.
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At the YMCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education in a related field such as business management, recreation and fitness, hospitality etc.
- Fluent in English required, bilingualism an asset
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- 3+ years of related customer service experience in the hospitality or fitness industries
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership role
- Strong understanding of basic accounting and budgeting practices
- Knowledge of Legend or other database/client management systems
- Knowledge and frequent use of MS Office Suite products is required
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR/AED certification
- Excellent customer service and leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- Integrity: Demonstrates responsible behavior at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- Service Orientation: Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA experience.
- Relationship Building: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
- Quality Focus: Ensures that success criteria for self, staff and programs are set, reviewed and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery.
- Teamwork: Participates in an effective organizational team, which acknowledges and values team members’ skills, experience, cultural background, knowledge, creativity, and contributions.
- Leadership: Participates in an effective organizational team, which acknowledges and values team members’ skills, experience, cultural background, knowledge, creativity, and contributions
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve and as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job, unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Brianna Saumure. Please send applications to People and Culture Assistant, Brianna Saumure (email@example.com).
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.