Information and Referral Specialist (Isabella Y) - FT Contract
Location: 150 Isabella Street
Type: Full-time, bilingual, contract from September 25th, 2023 to March 31st, 2024
Preferred start date: Monday, Sep 25, 2023
Closing date: Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023
The YMCA is a charity that has been helping Canadians improve their lives since the first Y opened in 1851. Y programs are offered at more than 1,700 locations across Canada and help more than 2.25 million people annually become healthier in spirit, mind, and body. The YMCA of the National Capital Region proudly serves people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities, and works to address critical social needs in our community. We are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential.
This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free YMCA gym membership;
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps);
- Access to our YMCA Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) including free, immediate, confidential assistance and counselling for you and your family members for mental and physical health, and financial advice, among other 12 suites of services;
- Health and Dental Insurance;
- Long-term Disability and Life Insurance;
- Access to our Canadian YMCA Retirement Fund pension plan;
- Up to 25 vacation days per year including two float days, and one birthday vacation;
- Maternity leave benefits for up to 18 months.
*Some benefits may vary based on employment terms
What do you offer?
The Information and Referral Specialist will provide newcomer clients with accurate information and appropriate referrals on matters related to immigration, settlement, and community resources on a drop-in basis. They will perform duties of needs assessment and orientation; determining the needs of Newcomers and referring them to internal and/or external programs to best assist them. Additionally, the Information and Referral Specialist will perform reception duties including answering phones and emails, triaging and directing clients to appropriate services/peoples and performing administrative and data entry duties.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Conducting needs assessments and providing referrals to appropriate services and resources as identified.
- Assisting clients in accessing information and services that best meet their needs.
- Providing relevant information to enable Newcomers to access the desired services and programs.
- Responding to each client in a professional and culturally appropriate manner.
- Collecting, tracking and reporting statistical data reflecting services provided.
- Delivering quality-based, client-directed, neutral referral services.
- Coordinating community events as required.
- Delivering orientation sessions and workshops as required.
- Contributing to the development and maintenance of a substantial library of settlement resources.
- Contacting clients, booking appointments and facilitating online webinars
- Providing rotational coverage at the main reception desk, including appointment scheduling for Settlement Workers and support to outreach activities.
- Working in collaboration with the Employment Access Centre team and assisting employment services clients on a basic level.
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At the YMCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- Fluent in English and French, oral and written
- Other languages are a strong asset
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of immigrant settlement services and programs offered for Newcomers to Canada
- Previous work experience in a multicultural environment
- Strong computer skills including MS Office suite, online research, data entry, social media
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Strong customer service skills
- Superior problem-solving skills and demonstrated good judgment
- Proven sensitivity in working with the needs of immigrants from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to assess the information needs of clients served
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- A Police Record check, not more than 6 months old is required. Police Records checks are reviewed on an individual basis and the offense(s) - if any - is considered in the decision-making process in relation to the requirement of working with children, therefore not eliminating all candidates with a record from being offered a position.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- Organizational Awareness and Understanding: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the vision, mission, and values of the YMCA of the National Capital Region.
- Planning and Organization: Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short- and long-term work goals.
- Problem-Solving: Ability to identify an issue, gather and process relevant information, determine possible solutions, select appropriate responses, and implement and evaluate them.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information effectively in a variety of settings. Ability to cooperate with others to achieve results. Ability to create and build relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for program quality and effectiveness.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve and as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
YMCA of the National Capital Region is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, the YMCA will endeavour to provide accommodation to people with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org upon scheduling your interview.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA of the National Capital Region. Please send applications to email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in joining the YMCA of the National Capital Region. We appreciate all applications. Due to the volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those selected for further consideration in the hiring process.
The YMCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.