Overnight Housing Security, Housing Services (Taggart Y Location)
Location: Taggart Family Y, 180 Argyle Avenue, Ottawa
Type: Part-time, preferred start date December 8, 2022, with an hourly rate of $ 15.50 per hour plus shift premium during allowable hours. This part time position would provide Security & Residence Desk coverage Thursday overnights from 11 pm to Fridays 9am. The PT would also be able to pick up hours that become available due to holidays, vacation, sick leave & program needs.
Preferred start date: Thursday, Dec 08, 2022
Closing date: Sunday, Dec 04, 2022
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free Y membership.
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps)
- Health and dental insurance for full-time, permanent employees
- Up to 25 vacation days per year, including two float days and one birthday vacation for full-time, permanent staff
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Long-term disability and life insurance for full-time, permanent employees.
- Workplace pension plan available for full-time, permanent employees
- Extended Maternity leave benefits to all our staff up to 6 more months after the year of leave.
What do you offer?
The Security Worker will provide security services to residents, staff, members, and the general public in a friendly, open, and non-discriminatory manner.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a personal commitment to and understanding of the Y’s mission, vision, values.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Control access to the building at the entrance when at the Residence desk or when monitoring the parking area
- Provide point-of-entry services to Support Workers and backup during crises/emergencies
- Provide emergency security and report cleaning situations so they are resolved in a timely, efficient, and effective manner
- Conducts frequent building patrols each shift and records sweep in log. While at the front desk does sporadic checks of floors via video surveillance.
- Monitor the safety and security of the physical plant. Report emergencies noticed on patrols to Maintenance
- Documents according to current professional standards any significant interactions with residents, maintains appropriate documentation in approved format, and completes incident reports when required;
- Accurately document events/incidents and records in folios, logs, or on appropriate forms and communicate information to team members and supervisor as required
- Requires guest sign-in and issues passes as required
- Check the fire alarm panel during fire alarms, and will quickly review activities in the area if possible on camera or will cautiously inspect the area shown on panel
- Issue Association keys to authorized staff
- Shovel and de-ices the front entrance, podium, steps, ramp, and garage exit ramp as needed during winter to provide a safe pathway to the building until contractor services arrive
- Ensure safe environments by monitoring, supporting other staff, and calling for on-site or local emergency services assistance when needed
- Maintain workplace to ensure a safe and clean working environment
- Assist in the mentoring and training of other part-time staff
- Attend mandatory staff meetings and participate as a member of the broader Y (committees, activities, events)
- Assist with Association philanthropy initiatives
- As per the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons Policy, the staff of the YMCA-YWCA will take allegations of abuse seriously.
- All staff members are familiar with their duty to report and the procedure for reporting suspected abuse or neglect of a child.
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent in a related field
- Security Certification required
- Fluent in English, oral and written essential
- Bilingual capacity is preferred and other languages are considered an asset
Experience, Abilities & Skills
- Previous security/hotel front office/cash management/customer service experience
- CPR, AED, and First Aid Certifications required
- Computer literacy in specific and general applications
- Strong communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and creative skills
- Create a strong presence and provide a respectful but safe welcoming environment
- May require some flexibility around hours of work to meet program needs.
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- As a condition of employment, in accordance with the COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy for Staff and Volunteers, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- COMMITMENT TO YMCA-YWCA VISION AND VALUES: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision strategic outcomes, and values of the YMCA-YWCA.
- ORGANIZATIONAL AWARENESS AND UNDERSTANDING: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the vision, mission, and values of the National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZATION: Ability to work independently and as part of the team to meet program goals and provide high-quality service delivery.
- PROBLEM-SOLVING: Ability to identify an issue, gather and process relevant information, determine possible solutions, select appropriate responses and implement and evaluate them.
- COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Ability to communicate accurately and effectively both orally and written to clients, coworkers, and collaterals. Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships inside and outside the organization.
- TEAMWORK: Participates actively in a team for program quality and effectiveness.
- QUALITY FOCUS AND RESULTS ORIENTED: provide a high standard of service delivery consistent with contractual obligations
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve and our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Rick Jarvis. Please send applications to Team Supervisor, Housing Residence Desk, Housing Services, Christopher Friesen (email@example.com)
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.