Power of Trades
Explore a future in the skilled trades!
Power of Trades is a program designed to help newcomers to Canada access jobs in the skilled trades in Ontario. All services are offered free of charge. This program is offered at no cost to participants.
Not sure if the skilled trades are right for you?
Skilled trades are hands-on jobs in the construction, motive power, industrial, and service sectors.
With over 140 skilled trades to choose from in careers as diverse as automotive repair, landscaping, child care, and masonry work, these careers offer great opportunities for advancement, high salaries and options for self-employment.
The Power of Trades Program
The Power of Trades program is a pre-employment training program for newcomers to Canada. During a 4-week session, participants receive information and practical advice about finding and keeping a job in the skilled trades in Ontario. Examples of material covered in the training includes: understanding the apprenticeship process in Ontario, preparation for the Certificate of Qualification exam, labour laws and regulations in Ontario, understanding what Canadian trades employers look for in a new employee, resume and interview preparation, guest speakers from local industry, and other useful information and activities.
After completing the 4-week classroom training, participants take part in a 3-week work placement in the skilled trade of their choice.
- Four weeks of in-class preparation training.
- A 3-week work placement in a skilled trade of your choice.
- Orientation to skilled trades and apprenticeships.
- Access to workplace certifications that employers require for new employees.
- Access to academic upgrading (Ontario Secondary School Diploma).
- Financial support to buy tools, supplies, and personal protective equipment.
- Ongoing individualized job search support.
- Be a permanent resident or convention refugee.
- Be an Ontario resident.
- Have a strong interest in the skilled trades.
- 18 years of age or older.
Services for employers:
- Help with staffing needs.
- Access to job fairs and customized hiring sessions.
- Access to a pool of pre-screened candidates of all skill levels in all four trades sectors.
- Work placements with pre-screened, mature learners.
Learn more about the Y's Power of Trades Program
Funded in partnership with: